Birdfest Map & Directions
Headquarters: Cobscook Community Learning Center, Trescott, Maine
Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge is located off Rt. 1 southwest of Calais, ME. It can be reached by taking Rt. 1 North from coastal Maine, Rt. 1 South from northern Maine, or Rt. 9 east from the Bangor area. Watch for the refuge boundary sign along Rt. 1.
From Rt. 1, follow signs to the Refuge Headquarters about 3 miles south on the Charlotte Road. The office is open Monday - Friday, from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., except holidays. An information booth provides after-hours visitors with brochures and maps.
The refuge is open to the public daily from one half-hour before sunrise to one half-hour after sunset.
A Few Simple Rules
- Refuge roads are closed to all private vehicle traffic, but open to walking and bicycling.
- No motorized vehicles or bicycles are allowed in the Wilderness Area.
- Pets are permitted on a leash.
- No overnight parking.
- Camping, campfires and fireworks are prohibited.
- No firearms permitted (except legal hunting, contact refuge for current regulations).
Travel options in Maine can be found at Explore Maine's website.
- For US Border Crossing info call (207)733-4331 or online
- For Canada Border Crossing info call (506)465-2100 or online
Time difference: When crossing the border, please note Canada is on Atlantic Time (AT), one hour ahead of Eastern Standard Time (EST), 1:00PM (EST) = 2:00PM (AT).
Cellphones: Mobile service varies Down East, in some areas there is little to no reception. Calls may be picked up by a Canadian carrier, incurring roaming and international charges. The clock on your mobile device will change according to what service is available. Call your carrier if you find you were billed extra charges in error.